View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 07:54 PM   #15
Cephas Atheos
Cephas Atheos is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DX
Unhappy

Thanks, that fixed the problem.

Just FYI, I'm extremely new to the Mac world, so I just *assumed* that being a good citizen and downloading the latest version of calibre from the official product page wouldn't end up with me needing to know about SVN checkouts and unofficial builds.

The reason I didn't want to raise a new thread that was a duplicate of an existing thread that described my problem to a 'T' was to not provoke anyone into thinking I hadn't conducted a reasonable search for a previous resolution to my problem.

And, since there was NO mention of any update that fixed, addressed, or resolved this thread's original problem - which, by the way, is just over a month old, and not locked - I just *assumed* (there's that word again ) that, since I couldn't find any textual search results that indicated that this problem had been fixed anywhere else, it was still a valid issue.

I admit that I did not follow your (actually quite reasonable and thorough!) protocol for posting a problem description, but that was because a) this thread already existed, and I thought that since there was no other mention of the problem or solution, it was still an ongoing issue; and b) I didn't want to clutter up a post with examples that (for my unsuspecting mind) seemed to indicate that every attempt to produce a PDF resulted in the exact problem described here.

But mea maxima culpa, and I'm sorry to have frustrated you - I can understand that you must be very busy, and the last thing you want is to have a noob mac user raise an issue that you thought had been fixed a long time ago! Personally, I'd hit me with a brick, but that's probably not possible online.

Might I respectfully suggest that this problem (which appears to be related to a plugin overwriting the QT library thingy) be added to the FAQ? I don't _think_ this is really a corner case - like I said, I'm trying to do the right thing by downloading the correct installer, and using only proper plugins, but this might cause a similar problem down the track to other users who haven't learned the ins and outs of how Mac apps work 'under the hood' so to speak.

I'm a fairly experienced Windows programmer and ex-security expert (30+ years), so I was truly not trying to be clever or devious in using or working with calibre. I can absolutely appreciate the incredible amount of work, sweat, and intelligence that's gone into this amazing product, and I hope to keep using it to manage my 28k+ document library in the future. There's nothing else that comes close to what calibre does, and I really don't want to piss off the developer - but I think I managed to do that, even with the purest of intentions. ANd for that I apologise.
Cephas Atheos is offline   Reply With Quote