Thread: Kobo Bug thread
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2019, 06:18 AM   #1207
PenguinCEO
Member Retired
PenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipedia

Device: a lot
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Firstly, please stop calling me an idiot ...
Please keep calm. Here we are all civilized people and there is no need to give an outburst.

Quote:
SHOULD This word, or the adjective "RECOMMENDED", mean that there may exist valid reasons in particular circumstances to ignore a particular item, but the full implications must be understood and carefully weighed before choosing a different course.
Quote:
I have no real idea why Kobo decided not to do this ...
You know well why kobo did it. Right you said to us:

Quote:
And I have asked kobo the question about monospace support. Basically, "not important" ...
So Kobo did not have valid reasons to break the standard, nor the circumstances were particular, nor they were carefully weighted.

So the lack of support for monospace text is a bug.

kobo can destroy well tested software, has the freedom of bugging the equipment, ignore the universally accepted rules and produce mediocre devices. But they must warn the buyer about the real value of his products. An "epub reader" is a device whose purpose is to render in a standard way any standard epub, and every person in good faith understands the sense of the standard. (font-family: monospace is standard) Kobo devices don't render standard ebooks, so they are not "epub reader" (but something else) or they are bugged. If someone needs a proper "ebook-reader", it is better to consult other manufacturers.

Quote:
And, as I always say at this point, if you have a problem, report it to Kobo. If you don't, then there is no reason for them to fix or change something as it is obviously not important to you.
For the record, two weeks ago I sent to kobo a formal report about monospaced font, but (till today) without any feedback.

Last edited by PenguinCEO; 11-16-2019 at 06:24 AM.
PenguinCEO is offline   Reply With Quote