Thread: Kobo Bug thread
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2019, 10:28 PM   #1204
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
I read that far and suspected that line was all I needed to read of your response.

I was right. You keep interpreting “should” much more loosely than the RFC 2119 definition allows. In doing so, despite your protests to the contrary, your interpretation is closer to that document’s “may” than its “should.”

Simply untrue. Again, the RFC language for “should” says “there may exist valid reasons in particular circumstances to ignore a particular item, but the full implications must be understood and carefully weighed before choosing a different course.”

That’s much more stringent than “it’s a damn good idea to implement X.” It is a dire warning to the developer to think really damned hard and consider all of the ramifications before omitting the feature, because getting rid of it is a really serious matter.
Firstly, please stop calling me an idiot who can't read or think. Yes, that is extreme, but it is effectively what you are doing.

And please stop doing exactly what you accuse me of doing. You are interpreting "should" in this matter as "must".

As I stated, I completely understand what "should" means. And I stand by my crude interpretation. I mean, it actually says this in the the definition of "should":

Quote:
SHOULD This word, or the adjective "RECOMMENDED", mean that there may exist valid reasons in particular circumstances to ignore a particular item, but the full implications must be understood and carefully weighed before choosing a different course.
Well, maybe I should have stated it as: "It would be a damn good idea if you did this, but, if you have a good reason not to, then you don't absolutely have to do it".

And it comes down to, what is a "valid reason". I have no real idea why Kobo decided not to do this, but, I assume they had what they considered were valid reasons. Whether I would agree is a separate matter.

It's time to stop wasting our time arguing about this. You think I am reading this to weakly, and I think you are reading it to strongly. But, it isn't me you need to convince of this. If you really think this is a bug, you need to convince Kobo to fix it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote