View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 06:14 AM   #8
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkobo View Post
[...]
And yet, at least once a year, I get a new idea and an urge for "the novel" (nothing literary, I would like to write Fantasy or SF), I spend a week or so having it churn in my brain, then I spend 2-3 days writing notes and a lumpy outline. I then write a scene or two and then...
And then I stop, after reading the rubbish scenes and after reading the outline and realizing that I'm not a writer.
I'm also really good at finding excuses of why I can't write now and that after I deal with <insert current family/work problem here> I'll definitely start and finish my book.[...]
Don't stop trying (unless you want to of course). Over the years I've had a lot of ideas and written a lot of rubbish that never went anywhere, but eventually I found something that wouldn't let me put it away. It was only when I found the idea that obsessed me that I finally seemed to get past that big road-block. I'm not saying the result was great literature (it was never meant to be that), but I am quite proud of what it eventually turned into (and is still turning into). But you will only find that idea if you keep your mind open to the possibility and keep nudging each idea to see if it has claws.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote