View Single Post
Old 12-03-2019, 06:47 PM   #22
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
thank you. I think I would prefer a non-existent affiliation too. I don't want logos and other bs on my device. sick of the "amazon" experience.
The affiliate basically says who gets a share of anything you buy from the Kobo book store. As well, a few change logos displayed in a couple of places. And a few change the screensaver so it shows their logo instead.

The other use is for firmware updates. Kobo has agreement with some affiliates about when firmware is updated. This is mainly to do with the order they releases happen. Kobo release to some smaller affiliates first and then to wider audience after a few days. It is popular here to change the affiliate to get the firmware faster. Unfortunately, it can backfire.

No idea what the affiliate will be for you. Some seem to be country based. Australian's will probably get the affiliate for "Angus & Robinson" or "Bookworld". The French will probably get "FNAC". But, you can also specify an affiliate when signing into the device and link your account with that store to you Kobo store. I would expect this to set the affiliate on the device, but I have never bothered to do this.

In any case, if the affiliate you have does something you don't like, I suggest just editing the "affiliates.conf" and changing the affiliate to "kobo". That is the least intrusive (no function loss, Kobo logos in the very few places they are shown, not to early or late in the firmware deployment).
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote