View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 03:48 AM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
An ebook should never be formatted this way. You should always use only single spacing between lines an a paragraph and between paragraphs.
Quote:
I also recommend that you seriously review your formatting decision. The opinion that JSWolf expressed is just an opinion, not a rule, but it is an opinion held by the majority of readers and one I agree with. A minority like an extra space between paragraphs but almost nobody likes extra space between lines within a paragraph. The old double-spacing style is antique typewriter formatting, like the obsolete style of placing two spaces after a period, and often required in typewritten documents so that a reviewer/editor/teacher can more easily write in edits, corrections, and/or comments. eBooks should be formatted more in the style of printed books rather than typewritten documents.
Not to mention, if this is the same book that you're doing for a paying client--for which you've previously asked for help--the likelihood that they'll put this on B&N and Amazon is very high. Or even iBooks. The likelihood that your client will get either a takedown notice or a quality review notice on Amazon is extremely high, as they take a very dim view of double-spaced lines as giant space-wasters. It's also got a high percentage chance of reader returns and complaints. If you do it manually, as you've implied you will, presumably with returns, I can guarantee it will get a takedown. I further doubt it would pass Apple's QA on intake.

Seriously: no professional book-maker would make a book like this. It's at odds with Amazon's guidelines, B&N's guidelines and Apple's guidelines. You are asking for trouble, and if you have a paying client, they are relying upon your expertise to preclude the possibility of this type of inadequate quality issue. If you are doing this for pay, you need to advise your client as to what an extraordinarily bad choice this would be. I won't accept a book for which the client insists on double-spaced lines (for any duration--obviously, for a short bit, like something intended to represent a sign, or a clipping, whatever, sure) for production. Just won't do it. It's bad technique and bad book-making, and likely to cause the client commercial and reader usability issues down the road.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote