View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 09:05 PM   #16
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
Could there be a possibility to let the user decide to either preserve the original TOC or not? For example, the ability to retain the original TOC if all I do is insert a new cover image or edit the meta data.
Like I've said, it can't be preserved for technical reasons. Currently, at least. You see, the navPoints in the NCX file can point to any element in the OPS documents: a paragraph element (<p>), a <div> element, a <span>... anything.

But the Sigil TOC editor can only handle heading elements. That was on purpose: every editor I know uses headings to build a TOC: from Word to Writer, even LaTeX by default. It makes the TOC editor simple, and a lot of work (basically a complete redesign) would have to be done to make it possible to have any element a TOC reference in the TOC editor. And the new one would be much more complicated.

And for what? Everyone other editor still uses headings to build a TOC.

So if your original TOC already uses headings, the new one will be the same. If it doesn't, well then the new one will be different, but it will follow industry standards.

Again, I doubt you can make a simple and intuitive TOC editor and preserve the full expressiveness of the NCX. Sigil will use the current approach until I figure out a better way, if one exists.

I'm always open for suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
Same here. I forgot what version of Sigil it was, but after one version, the program started running really slow. I heard that things will improve in 0.2.0, which should be out in a couple of weeks.
That would be 0.1.6 when I upgraded Sigil to use the new Qt. Nokia said they would improve WebKit performance in Qt 4.6.0, but instead they introduced a regression that made page rendering substantially slower. They're still trying to pull their heads out of their asses to fix that.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote