View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 09:25 AM   #84
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I've to ask, what does the "|$" do?
Before explaining, I note that the expression can be simplified to
{tags:re( *(.[^\,]?)[^\,]*?(\,|$),\1\2)}
The extra parentheses were left over from an experiment.

The expression (\,|$) means (comma OR end_of_string). It causes the previous [^\,]*? to stop matching, and consumes the comma if there is one. As a side benefit, because it is parenthesized, the matched value can be used in the replacement to separate the two-letter shortened tags by that value, which is either a comma or nothing.

As long as I am in explain mode , the explanation of the rest of the expression is:
Code:

re( *(.[^\,]?)[^\,]*?(\,|$),\1\2)
    | |    |     | |   |    |_ Replace with first paren group value, followed by second
    | |    |     | |   |_Match comma or end of tags string. In parens, so remember as \2
    | |    |     | |_ As many non-comma chars as needed
    | |    |     |_Any character not a comma
    | |    |_zero or one non-comma. Still in the parens, so remembered
    | |_ Any character. It is in parens, so remember it as \1
    |_eat any leading blanks. They would be there because commas are followed by blanks.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote