View Single Post
Old 07-10-2009, 02:27 PM   #19
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Not exactly. The text refers several times to "after the coming into force of this section" which I think happened in 1997 or 1998, and that's the relevant date for the start of the fifty years or the five years.

So unpublished works where the author died before (roughly) 1947 had a copyright that expired around 2002 or 2003, and unpublished works by authors who died after 1947, have a copyright that will expire around 2047.

This section in fact abolishes the "copyright for 50 years after publication" with a 50 year transition period, very similar to the UK law was done, except that the UK one came into force ten years earlier, and doesn't have the exception for authors who died more than 50 years before it came into force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I think this is the relevant part of the Canadian copyright: http://laws.justice.gc.ca/fr/ShowDoc...06/en#codese:7

What I can make out of it is basically:

- 50 years after the first publication if published less than 50 years after the author's death.
- 5 years after the first publication otherwise.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote