View Single Post
Old 05-24-2016, 07:26 PM   #40
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@GM: Yep, actually did wire a house w/ 1/10 coax at one point... . That is, with a rather generous definition of "wire" (i.e., stuff hanging out the windows ).
I actually cut a hole in my oak hardware floor, to snake a 25-pin RS-232 cable (with connector) through. I did not feel like unsoldering and re-soldering all those wires (solder-pot connectors), risking swapping some of them. For that matter, why DID they connect all those wires (pretty much in all cables back then) when RS-232 only used a few of them?

I had a couple of thousand-foot rolls of gigabit-rated cat-5e network cable, but I gave one to a friend (the all-teflon-coated plenum-rated wire). I still have a thousand-foot spool (Radio Shack brand) still shrink-wrapped, should I even run out of pre-made cables (yeah, when everything I use is wifi these days)... I still avoid wifi when I need physical security, but those projects have been awhile ago...

And for that matter, I have some big fat low-loss LMR-100 microwave cable strung here and there in my house too. At least I never needed to install any hollow-core water-cooled coax (but that crap spins the power meters anyway)...

And just for fun, while reminiscing, I not only have a 40W CO2 laser than can easily remove carelessly place body parts, I even have an ancient (quite rare) Helium-Neon laser that is powerful enough to cut thin metal when focused. I grunt when I pick that one up...

What is it with today? All these OLD memories keep getting triggered by just about everything I stumble across. I think it might be helping to distract me from my back pain -- yeah, that's it!

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-24-2016 at 07:33 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote