View Single Post
Old 04-18-2012, 06:26 AM   #7
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Buying used increases authors' incomes.

When I buy a used book, I go to bookfinder.com and get the cheapest one described as in good or better condition. After I buy it, the cheapest one left in the US used book marketplace is typically more expensive. This reduces the price difference between used and new so that:

a. The next person may buy new, since there isn't as much difference between new and used pricing.

b. More importantly, since me, and millions like me, have pushed used prices higher, publishers have room to set new book prices higher.

When you buy used, you bid up the price. When you buy new, you don't. In that way, it is better for authors that we buy used. I think there should be evidence given before assuming that buying new helps the author more, although I concede that buying new helps the author (or at least the publisher) more quickly.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote