View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 11:16 PM   #42
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
me too. I love language sculptors like poets. Hate cheap elven-laden fantasy in distant worlds that feel just like ours, except a bit more gay.

To me, that's the difference between high literature classics and in-your-face-best-sellers: the high skilled mastery of language. I'm not talking about abusing baroque constructs or being too dense, just about giving the language the proper art treatment.

In the hands of a skilled story teller, any trivial story is great.
While I am not one for long descriptive passages or interjections of how to make the world better, many are.

I have read books with great plot ideas where the narrative seemed to go on and on, well past it's sell by date. Then I have read books where the plot seems trivial, but that make me laugh out loud, or even on occasion learn something.

Most books I read, you are pretty sure the good guys will prevail and often enough who the bad guys are. The value for me is usually not in the jouney from Point A to Point B, but the points of interest along the way.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote