View Single Post
Old 09-01-2012, 09:25 PM   #88
piper28
Zealot
piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Eye-tracking Kindle, Circa 2025.
It watches your eye movements as you read and pages when you reach the page turn icon at the bottom of the page.
(This is doable today but it'll take a while before they can get the processing power and algorithms out of the PC and into smartphones and readers.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_tracking

I'd still prefer the paging buttons on the basic Kindle, though.
I'd actually say it's closer to reality than 2025. The Galaxy S3 claims to know when you're looking at the screen, although I'm sure their tracking is pretty crude. But the actual processing power involved in tracking the eye isn't all that much these days. Battery power for the camera is probably one of the really larger obstacles. There's also some work that would have to be done on dealing with the idea of the surface that you're doing the tracking from and reading moving in relation to the head, that does complicate matters.

Now, that said, obviously I doubt anyone would be likely to do it for a reader, it's just not a reasonable enough application for it. But the difference between where we were 20 years ago with eye tracking and where we are now is pretty impressive. About 20 years ago I took a soldering iron to an $80k eye tracking machine that took up the entire top of a table . Thankfully nobody told me how much the thing cost until *after* they had me do that.
piper28 is offline   Reply With Quote