Thread: What is piracy?
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
Hello there!

Is simply copying a book for personal use piracy? Or does piracy require commercial gain?

For instance, if I find a decent book in the free bin at a used bookstore and then scan it into my ereader, is that piracy? Would it be piracy if I were to scan the printed book into my ereader non-destructively and then return the printed book to the free bin?

Would an act of piracy occur if I were to take the scanned ebook I obtained from the free bin and upload it to a free ebook distribution site?

Have a nice day!
all by the letter of the law are piracy.
the first I would ignore
the second a bit grey, I wouldnt do but doubt I would look down on somebody else for doing it
the last one is out and out piracy and I wouldnt do it or agree with anybody doing it.
But as I said by the letter of the law each is as evil as the other.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote