View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 08:53 AM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I also wanted to add some perspective. When the first Kobo was released, Nook, Sony, and Amazon were also selling devices that have now been superseded twice by newer models. This has been an amazing time for eBook readers. The market, and people's expectations, have changed rapidly. The choice has always been to move to better hardware, more capacity for additional features, or remain stuck with old hardware with limitations that are no longer acceptable.

The Kobo WiFi has not been updated in a very long time. It is, however, still an active part of the Kobo lineup, and we were recently told that it will be updated. In fact, not too long ago, one of the senior developers asked for people who would be interested in beta testing the WiFi changes to contact him. Mike Serbinins, the Kobo CEO said that the WiFi would get Pulse, btw.

The Touch and the Vox are very different devices. Kobo has been very clear about their dedication to improving and continuing their eINK devices, even as they make another option available to people who want a "reader with benefits" like the Vox. This means that there are three devices, with important distinctions, all of which are seen as being current and are being worked on.

As I make my decisions about new devices to consider for purchase, one of things that stands out for me is that Kobo actually makes changes and improvements after release. I do not have (and am not stuck with) the feature set that was sold to me six months ago; I have a device with additional capabilities, some of which I didn't know I wanted until they appeared.

This is not without its risks and problems. I believe that most of the problems have to do with the issues caused by enormous growth over a very short period of time and a lack of the deep pocket funding to scale up in the way that is called for. This includes problems that have to do with a lack of communication and customer support that seems to get overwhelmed when there is a new device or a big problem. This sort of thing may change if the folks that bought Kobo make the investment in it that everyone is hoping for.

The Kobo is not for everyone. There is a certain amount of tumult along the way as changes are made to existing devices. A "what you see is what you get" device, that remains almost entirely the same until replaced by a newer device might be a better choice for some people. Other folks are still perfectly happy reading on a several generations old device that I may find unacceptable slow and problematic in other ways. Heck, a friend of mine who bought his Kobo-1 the same week I did has still never purchased a book--he is reading his way through the 100 free classics that came with it.

When you are out to buy your first reader, none of the reviews may deal with the aspects of the device that (later) become the most important to you. Kobo was a huge unknown when I bought my first device from them. I have owned all four of their devices, and I will probably buy whatever comes down the pipe next. It's a good match for my needs. It's OK if it isn't a good match for everyone--it doesn't have to be--there are so many good choices out there for people to enjoy.

Last edited by taming; 11-16-2011 at 08:59 AM. Reason: clarity and oopsies in spelling
taming is offline   Reply With Quote