View Single Post
Old 08-18-2019, 11:44 AM   #39
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Losing 1 billion seems plausible when you consider the length of time BN has been selling Nook products and recall that the tablet line suffered several large blows and gross mishandling for example the Nook HD which flooded their market with too many choices.

Also factor in that BN used to do most of not all the Nook stuff fully in house that’s a big cost to them.

Personally what I want to see is BN sell the Nook off to Kobo and work out a deal to sell the devices in store. This would relieve them of the financial burden of developing Nook while allowing them to benefit from whatever sales they can. They could potentially still sell ebooks in store as well though that’s not something that they’ve really tried to do in quite some time.

This would also give Kobo a better partner than Walmart since at least BN is focused on books whereas Walmart is a general goods catch all store where Kobo is easily looked over.

And it’s not entirely unprecedented, Kobo are the ones who ultimately ended up with Nook UK customers though I believe that there was a company who had snagged them in the initial shut down before themselves turning it over to Kobo
Kobo is also the company that ended up with the Sony customers way back when. That's why I have about 200 ebooks in my Kobo library and get daily emails from Kobo.

Kobo still hasn't really shown any indication that they are particularly interested in competing with Amazon/Kindle in the US. They seem happy to focus their efforts outside the US.

Just checked the Kobo site and they seem to have improved over the last year or so. I'm going to have to give them a try.

Hum, interesting just from the standpoint of a spot check, I see that Fry's Mythos is finally going to be released as an eBook in the US on August 27th. It's in the Kindle store, the Kobo store, but doesn't seem to be in the Apple store. Kobo does have some interesting bundles and Indies.

Last edited by pwalker8; 08-18-2019 at 12:58 PM.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote