View Single Post
Old 11-12-2018, 12:09 PM   #1
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Arrow Brand new PaperWhite 4 (2018) factory image JailBreaking

Hello all,

Important to note, that apparently this does only work with the factory version that ships on your device.

I am prepared to put the details out for the factory image jailbreak for the PaperWhite 4.

I am not interested at this time in maintaining these instructions as software versions change, so I will simply write my method, and allow others who want to maintain it, or add it to the wiki to feel free to do so.

Because of that my instructions will not be in depth.
It does follow the same flow as the existing factory image jailbreak for older devices, the current wiki article is here: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/5_x_Jailbreak

The process should be identical to the method used on PW3 and KOA2. Though my step #s will not match

Step 0: start up brand new Kindle, and skip the wifi screen, choosing to finish setup later.

Step 1: download factory image to your computer, and load onto the Kindle

I will host the factory image for a while, and let it get mirrored out to the internet here:
The md5sum is
Code:
2643277e8316ff412fc748ede22c08c6  update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_v2_5.10.0.1_factory.bin

The md5sum is
Code:
be5cc7a210bfa4fc81d4a03e62647714  update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_v2_5.10.0.2_factory.bin

-- Note here: if you are familiar with USBNet, it appears that amazon's usbnet is functional in this build, and you can do the rest of the work manually if you would prefer, instead of following the rest of this tutorial, but of course, you're on your own if you choose to go that route. --

Step 2: use "Update Your Kindle" in the Settings menu
This step will have your kindle processing and on the tree screen for a long time, perhaps 30 minutes, do NOT reboot or try anything during this time.
Make sure your kindle is fully powered up before you do this.

Step 3: create the update blocking folder
After that, please create an empty folder on the kindle USB drive named 'update.bin.tmp.partial'

Step 4: JailBreak your Kindle
After that, you can run the jailbreak using the K5 Factory JailBreak (Factory FW) from here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030

AKA "installHTML". See existing documentation on running this.
Instructions on how to use are here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275887

Step 5: Install the Hotfix/Bridge to keep the JailBreak after update
After that, you can install the Hotfix from here
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=1597

NiLuJe was amazing and got this working really fast.
It is only currently packaged for devices with Serials G000T6, G000PP, G000T1, G000T2.
(WiFi 8GB and 32GB, LTE 32GB US & EU)

Version JailBreak-1.15.N-FW-5.x-hotfix.zip
Post Edit date after Nov 18, 2018

Step X: update to newer FW or do whatever else you want on your jailbroken Kindle.

Note that most software will probably not be updated for this yet...

Most of my stuff should be PW4 ready . -- NiLuJe

This should give you the basic setup if I did not break anything.

There is always a chance that you could brick your device, so be prepared.

----

If you've come this far, here's a quick recap of what the process should look like, with a few of the basic tools mostly everyone should need added during step X :

TL;DR: Factory Image -> Factory JB -> Hotfix -> MRPI -> KUAL Booklet w/ Coplate's patch -> Everything else

Note that a firmware update will put you back to the step just after MRPI (i.e., you'll have to reinstall anything custom, KUAL included).

If you're confused about the apparent circular dependency between KUAL & MPRI, see this post, as well as the JailBreak Wiki page mentioned at the beginning of this post.

----

This had initially only been tested on WiFi 8GB and WiFi 32GB with serials that start with G000T6 and G000PP.

This had initially only been tested on devices that shipped with 5.10.0.1 (3337430015).

----

Use at your own risk, YMMV.

----

EDIT: Clarification regarding what factory versions will work on which devices:
Apparently, they have added in more 'downlgrade' protection, in addititon.

This means that if you have upgraded to 5.10.0.2, or have a device that shipped with that, then you cannot downgrade to 5.10.0.1; You have to use the factory version that matches your installed code exactly.

This post is based on what the people who had with 5.10.0.2 reported, and I have updated my device to that version and confirmed.
Code:
181120:161817 OTAController[1270]: E FB02Bundle:FB02BundleValidationFailed:reason=IncompatibleVersion,deviceVersion=3341680009,bundleVersion=3337430015:IncompatibleVersion version
181120:161817 OTAController[1270]: E BundleValidator:validateBundle:valid=false,filename=/mnt/us/update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_v2_5.10.0.1_factory.bin:Removing update file
This means that people will have to have a factory image that matches or exceeds their current version, so as new stock comes through, we will have to figure something out.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-30-2018 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Minor formatting tweaks, added TLDR recap -- NiLuJe
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote