View Single Post
Old 05-20-2008, 04:17 PM   #1
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Got Netflix? I HAD to have this new add-on!

It's called The Netflix Box and made by a company called Roku. It connects directly to your TV and wirelessly (or wired if ya live in the Stone Age) to your router. It then connects to your "instant viewing" queue over at Netflix so you can stream anything they have on their "Instant Viewing" side.

So, for $99 I HAD to order one. Plus it has a 30-day money back deal so if I don't like it I can return it. But I doubt I will. Right now I use a 1996-era Dell Inspiron 5000 as my "media server" in the living room. It's connected to my stereo and TV and I control it via my Nokia N800 using VNC. Works really well, except for higher quality streams. Anything over a 400k or so stream typically causes frame drops. So this new box is a nice cheap way to let us watch Netflix in the livingroom.

I actually use my 17" HP NX9420 as the bedroom "TV".

I know the current instant viewing catalog on Netflix is not that great, but there is enough content that we use it pretty regular. As in almost daily.

BTW, I dropped cable/satellite over 4-years ago and have not missed it since. Many shows are to be had at places like Hulu (new), direct on the station's web site as well as just renting DVD's via Netflix and having our own marthons over the week. Plus there is content on the Winamp/Shoutcast master play list free. Saves me over $100/mo.

oh, here is a link to the box:

http://www.roku.com/netflixplayer/

Almost forgot that part. BTW, you get unlimited streaming from Netflix with any account over $8.99/mo. We use the $16.99/mo account and get anywhere from 15-20 DVD's/mo w/o making a trip anywhere to rent them. For us I am not sure the next level account is worth the $7/mo additional to have up to 4-DVD's at a time. If there was more then two of us maybe...but we do fine with the 3-at-a-time plan.

Anyhow I just thought I would pass this along to my fellow gadget addicts!! I'll pass along how well it works when the thing gets here.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote