View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 03:12 PM   #16
timofonic
Zealot
timofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox M96+
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyman666 View Post
thx, I got the kindle dxg device id by using ubuntu console, which is /dev/sdc1. but as I excute the command line which likes
dd if=./rootfs.img of=/dev/sdc1 bs=1024
the console gives me the feedback that I have no permission to operate /dev/sdc1, what does it mean, should I input the password of the device, and how?

And stranger_st said this approach needs no password.
Maybe it's you lack knowledge of how UNIX/Linux works.

You need to be a superuser (aka root). Ubuntu uses sudo as a way to get superuser privilieges per default. Ubuntu (mistakenly in my opinion) uses the user password to get root privilieges, so you need to use that in order to do certain operations.

Per default, modifing and mounting file systems aren't allowed by standard users.
timofonic is offline   Reply With Quote