View Single Post
Old 10-18-2020, 09:27 PM   #4675
DavidTC
Connoisseur
DavidTC began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, Boox C67ML
I say #2, but...to be more consistent, would it be possible to have the all six different 'Updating from current book(s)' option on a popout menu? (Which we could also put on the context menu, and of course give shortcuts.) And have a toggle to those happen without prompting, like we can do with email.

But you also also leaving the existing 'Updating Existing Fanfic Book', which always comes up with the dialog, and selects the changable default, so that's all exactly the same.

---

And, I would still argue that an email update shouldn't let you use the nonsensical 'Skip' or 'Update Calibre Metadata' options. In fact, no modes besides 'Update EPUB if New Chapters' should be there at all, not just an allowed default, but...literally not allowed at all for email import. (It's hypothetically possible that 'Overwrite Story if Newer' is also needed?)

I know you said 'Don't assume everyone is using FFF the same way I am', but when we paste in URLs, or scrap a page, or select books...we want to do something specific to those things we chose. We need to be able to tell FFF this thing to apply to those books. So, yes, leave all those options.

But when we pull in URLs from email...we didn't compile that specific URL list, and don't even know what is there. Asking us what we want to do to a URL that we have literally no idea what it is beyond 'Some story I once subscribed to, don't know which one' is an odd choice to give us.

Asking us on an entire _list_ of such URLs is even weirder, because...hypothetically we could want to do different things to different ones! We didn't put that list together, that's not our grouping. Except...we don't know what they are individually anyway, so...no, we don't want to do something different.

This is sorta like the mailman showing up each day and holding a closed sack with our mail, and saying 'Here's todays mail. Do you want it, or do you want me to throw it all in the trash for you?'. That's not a useful choice.
DavidTC is offline   Reply With Quote