Thread: Worst Book
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012, 10:59 PM   #152
JohnGalt
Enthusiast
JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
I have a few. The first, I know, is a beloved classic to some, but in college, I took a 'W' in a lit class just to get out of finishing "Vanity Fair." Every page seemed somehow worse than the one before it.

Secondly, I really enjoy most of Walter Tevis' works - especially The Hustler, The Man Who Fell To Earth, Mockingbird - but "Steps of the Sun" left me feeling angry and cheated. He does a fantastic job pulling you in and identifying with the lead character's angst, but the resolution is petty, perverse, and surface. It was the literary equivalent of Mozart's Fantasy in Dmin K397 - beautifull, passionate, then cartoonish.

TC Boyle's short stories are amazing - I really enjoyed Tooth and Claw, but I had to stop reading "The Tortilla Curtain." It's just page after page of him dumping down fire and brimstone on his victim characters without mercy or even a clear purpose. It was just depressing and awfull.

Finally, I hated "About the Author" by John Colapinto. It read like the story of a 80s made for television action movie. I have nothing redeeming to say about it really.
JohnGalt is offline   Reply With Quote