View Single Post
Old 04-25-2016, 10:10 AM   #20
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Those page turn buttons are not unorthodox though.
People like myself who also read on tablets and smartphones have been asking for a return to page turn buttons on the side of the case in an electronic ink device for a long time.

Look at where the rocker switch is on an old Aztak Pocket Pro.
Or the volume switches on a Samsung Galaxy Note series phone.

The switches are in a tried and tested location.

Switch location here makes helps me want this more than a waterproof Voyage. The switches together with a waterproof MicroSD slot.
I read (comics) on my tablet (Samsung Tab S 10.5) and, although the volume control buttons can be used as page turn buttons, I find them too high up, and too close to each other (and to the power button, given I have to find them by touch) to be particularly useful.

Yes, they are "unorthodox" for eReader page-turn buttons, which are typically placed on the sides of the front of the eReader (sometimes both on one side, or both on both sides, but more typically one on each), and seldom asymmetrically towards the top -- the typical placement being where they are clearly visible, and more easily accessible.

Most smartphone/tablet users seem to mostly use the touchscreen for navigation, leading me to, not unreasonably, have questions over the durability for this type of button, when subjected to hundreds of page turns per day. I have worn out the buttons I used for page turning on my last two eReaders, so this is an issue that tends to concern me.

I would also point out that we have no definitive word that the Kepler Pro is waterproof, only a vague comment on a video that one of the three Kepler models will be waterproof, and the fact that the Pro uses wireless rather than wired audio.
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote