View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Ugly Truth - Oprah and Book Clubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe
This thread, although quite old, saves me the trouble of having to create one titled, The Ugly Truth - Oprah and Book Clubs. Why has the average reader or viewer become so dependent on book clubs for recommendations? This is not a concept that originated with Oprah. Historically, we have had clubs sponsored by Reader's Digest, Literary Guild, Book of the Month club, the Science Fiction Book Club, etc. Oprah took it to a national TV level, followed by an online version. Like Hugh Hefner, Oprah gets to pick her favorite authors, and that means that anything by Toni Morrison or Bill Cosby is at the top of the list. While there has been controversy about her selections, overall her books are readable, and semi-respectable.

http://www.altweeklies.com/aan/oprah...ory?oid=828937

But, too much power in the hands of one person is not good for those outside her chosen circle. I won't be joining her book club in the near future, but I am tempted by the SFBC 5 books for $1 introductory offer. Please save me. Tell me that the MRBC (Mobileread Book Club) is about to be created! Books chosen by real readers for fellow readers.
I call Oprah's followers lemmings because whatever Oprah recommends, they have to read. And now her Oprah 2.0 versions are just nasty. They mark up the book in such a way that the markings get in the way of just reading the book. I think this is just a way to get the lemmings to buy the book again if they already have it just to be able to read Oprah's comments.

I do belong to the SFBC but I have not bought anything from them in ages. I find the prices too high.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-01-2013 at 05:34 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote