View Single Post
Old 02-15-2018, 02:35 PM   #23
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
I was surprised that I enjoyed reading this book, it didn't do too much world-building, so it felt like just barely scraping the surface. Or maybe read like Irene's diary. I would have loved to read a full length novel, with more depth, and was disappointed to read that there isn't much else by the author either.

Racial issues are not a part of Scandinavian culture, so it can be a bit difficult to grasp. This book brought out some of it, the constant worry and subtle nuances. I read it as if Irene has been deeply formed by racial issues, starting with school and Clare moving to another neighbourhood and her aunts, and the constant worry has shaped her and her insecurities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Starting with the end: I didn't think it was ambiguous at all; Irene pushed Clare. - - - I think Irene was just the sort of character who would refuse to admit, even to herself, that she did actually push Clare. She's fundamentally dishonest. Her life is a lie just as much as Clare's is.

Irene seems to want to exist in a little bubble--she has a husband who provides her with a nice upper-class life, she won't abide any discussion of sex and violence and racism, she passes when passing is convenient, she avoids confrontation. ---
I was about to say something to this extent, but Catlady already said it so well. I guess theoretically I could reason that the fall was an accident and a defence attorney might get her acquitted, but the reality is probably that Irene "helped" Clare stumble. Nicely solving her (imaginary?) problems...

I wished there was a "three months later" chapter, with info on what happened to Clare's daughter, was she thrown out for being mixed race?

The book left lots of questions. What happened with Brian - what was the thing that he wanted to do (move to South America?). Will Irene ever realise her life isn't fulfilling?

Last edited by June; 02-15-2018 at 02:39 PM.
June is offline   Reply With Quote