View Single Post
Old 10-09-2016, 10:18 PM   #2
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffery View Post
If you had a huge library and needed to divide it among 8 memory cards, how would you group them so that you could have a rough idea where to go when interested in a particular book or genre of book.

I use calibre and am thinking of exporting my library into 8 parts. but I am at a loss as to how I could group them.

I won't be including romance or erotica type books, nor magazines or periodicals, just books for fun and reference.

I will include science fiction, science fact, fantasy, alternate history, childrens fiction (too many great books in that to ignore even as an adult), modern fiction, classics, textbooks and other educational/informational/reference texts, biblical, etc...
Divide them by subject: See how many categories you have. Then group them "somewhat" equally weighted by size into 8 large groups.,

Buy 8 cards that are at least twice as big as the largest group.

(I would not get cards less than 32GB each.)

Have a second set of cards for backups.

I don't do what you are planning, preferring instead to use 1 or 2 TB external drives that I have 2 of for each "large" category. I have 2 so that at any time, 1 can be a backup.

1 copy is always in a "fireproof" place, like a safety deposit box. The other is also protected but less vigorously.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote