View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007, 12:27 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Well, my wife is from Scotland and she has also lived in Englad and Germany as well. I asked her about this and she said that "forty millions" and "practising" were incorrect. The rest just look wrong because there doesn't seem to be a good way to handle a Boston accent in print. I would have just not bothered to be honest since it just looks like errant hyphens left in by mistake.
"Forty millions" is somewhat archaic, but not terribly unusual British English.

"Practising" is perfectly correct British English. We have "practise" as a verb, but "practice" as a noun, unlike American English which uses "practice" for both. Thus, we would say "the doctor is practising in his medical practice". "Practicing" is incorrect - but frequently used by poor spellers - in the UK.

Before about the late 19th century, "to-day", "to-morrow", "to-night", etc, were the standard spellings. The hyphen was dropped relatively recently. One occasionally still comes across these word hypenated in the UK and it's not regarded as incorrect.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote