View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 02:08 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Dude View Post
I'll be on the lookout for the Kindle file size though. I spent some time checking cartoon books at Amazon/Kindle. Most of them had huge file sizes per "page." For me, the ePub had about 2.1 MB and the Kindlegen coughed up 6.4 MB or something very close. That would mean $1.05 subtracted from my asking price of $2.99 before I even started.
Keep in mind that the per MB fee is not going to be based on the entire size of Kindlegen's output. As has been mentioned, Kindlegen's output contains an old-style MOBI version for devices that can't handle the newer format ... a KF8 version of your book for newer devices/apps, and the original source material. To my knowledge, you're only charged for the size of the file that ultimately gets delivered to the customer. Which will only be one format or the other... and the source part of the package never gets delivered to the customer.

Mobi_Unpack has a "split" feature that can separate Kindlegen output into its constituent parts (MOBI/KF8). I suggest using it to get a ballpark idea of the size of the different files that are ultimately going to be delivered to the customer ... which is what I believe the per MB fee is based on. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm full of it.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote