View Single Post
Old 08-04-2018, 05:43 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeater View Post
And I find it sad that you seem to have missed that it took 15 minutes for calibre to load for me given the amount of books I had loaded into it at the time. My library is not ~10000 books.
Given that calibre does not load or re-read your books on startup, the time is that required to read the database. For my larger library, the database clocks in 19.78MB. Resurrecting an old library consisting mostly of a clone of Gutenberg's English epubs (wget worked nicely there) and fan fiction which has ~172 thousand entries and importing it into calibre. I then restarted calibre in debug mode, it increased the db load time to a massive 6 seconds for 342MB and the total time from double-clicking on calibre to being at the GUI and ready to go to a massive 10.7 seconds.

Edit: extrapolating for your ~2,000,000 books, this would bring the database size to ~3.9GB (well below the SQLite maximum of ~140TB). I did some playing with various library sizes and reading the load time at startup seemed to be pretty much linear so that would take about 69 seconds to load so calibre would start in 73 seconds.

Quote:
I don't use a Kobo so I have no need to edit any SQLite dbs. All of my ebooks have covers. I have no need to resize or insert. The series information is in the filename so I use my ereaders search functionality to find what I need. I don't have to do anything but load books and read them.
However I do own a Kobo and like to make use of the supplied functionality. I am also interested in where you obtained that mass of ebooks that have no issues with the metadata and covers. I don't find that with most of the ebooks that I purchase.

As for digging through a directory structure to find an ebook to read? Ken Maltby and I had a couple of go-arounds years back comparing my use of search on my Kobo using the stock firmware compared to him locating books using KOReader's file browser. Basically, it took a lot less time and taps to use search compared to digging through multiple pages of directory listings. Perhaps that is why KOReader added the abiltiy to search the calibre database stored on the ereader....

Quote:
Yea, it's my mass storage. That must be what it is. ZFS sucks. It has nothing to do with the fact that 10,000 books isn't even half of a half of a percentage point compared to me.
Hmmm.... so 10,000 is not even .5% of your book collection so the total would greater than 2 million books. Out of curiosity, how do you afford so many books? And find the time to read them? Or do you simply collect them from whatever sources you can find?

Quote:
Well, tell you what, I'm currently loading the A*s into calibre. When that's done, (I'm on record 16033, at the moment), I'll time how long it takes calibre to load and I'll report back as I go though the B* and C* and so on.
Have fun.

Last edited by DNSB; 08-04-2018 at 10:52 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote