View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #99
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
I care about DRM.
Meaning: I don't like it at all ("hate" probably would be a bit too harsh, but close to it).
I don't have any problems with copy protection and similar mechanisms. I only worry about the DRM-schemes we have today. For example, Kindle app on my Sony Tablet S did wipe my entire library. My only guess: I haven't been online and identification may have failed. I could re-download them again of course, but this very vacation (without WiFi) was kind of ruined.

But: Although I don't like DRM, I don't strip my books from DRM anymore.
Even if I want to re-read them later on - which I do quite often. I rather read a good book for a second (or third) time, than a mediocre one for the first time. As a child, I've read "Robinson Crusoe" about 6 times.

In the very beginning, I've stripped all my eBooks from DRM.
I still have the tools for that and I even have this an action item on my ToDo-list.
Still: I haven't done so for maybe 2 years.
I simply don't bother to download the books to my PC anymore.
I download them directly on my tablets or readers.
Downloading again on the PC, stripping from DRM, adding to calibre, tuning the metadata and converting to other formats simply is too time-consuming.

And: I mainly buy from the "big ones", such as Amazon. I'm somewhat optimistic, they'll stay in business and won't block my library.
And: Realistically, I won't care in about 5 years anymore. Technologies usually fade within less than 10 years. I haven't touched my >600 DVDs for at least 5 years...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote