View Single Post
Old 01-05-2020, 02:44 PM   #5164
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I agree about the millennium, but not about the decade. A decade can start whenever you like. The common usage is to group years by their starting digits, in which case the 2020s run from now to the end of 2029.
It appears that you are arguing that a decade can be any group of 10 consecutive years which is correct. In which case, stating the current decade started on 2015-Jan-01 and ends on 2024-Dec-31 is valid. Or the last decade of Robert A. Heinlein's life was from May 9, 1979 to May 8, 1988.

What we seem to be arguing is if we want to count the years ordinally (21-30) or cardinally 20-29. I don't like cardinally since the fence post for that would result in a "decade" containing 9 years (0001-0009) since the Anno Domini system started at year 1 not year 0.

I realize that leaves me in a minority but been there before and will likely be there again. Hmmm... They'd Rather Be Right. Second winner of a Hugo for a novel.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote