View Single Post
Old 02-02-2009, 08:42 AM   #14
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat1901 View Post
Not Kindle related, but I just bought a book for school.

Brand new it is $210 and used it is $150. So as I was looking at the used copies trying to find one in good shape a kid saw me looking at them and says "I sold mine back at the end of last semester... they gave me $30 for it".

Academic publishers are greedy but the Universities are pretty friggin greedy too.
I can help explain that.

If the bookstore hasn't been told yet that the book will be used next semester, then you will get the "Wholesale" price. That means the textbook company thinks there is a chance it will get used somewhere soon (in the country). If they do know it is getting used, you'll get around 50% of the used price. Textbook stores have a lot of overhead too (stealing is a really big problem).
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote