View Single Post
Old 02-11-2011, 09:35 AM   #85
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
So, at the moment I would be extremely happy if I got result (1,2,3).
I lean towards Charles on this, provided we're looking at match sets, and not books. I'd rather see the exact results.

Quote:
I would have to go through results anyway and this would be *much* quicker than going through entire collection author after author (checking for the fuzzines in the author name (that is King Stephen; Stephen King; S. King; King, S.; S KING ...))
Book by book doesn't imply looking at all books - only books that have been found to have at least one other matching book. It means you look at all sets having the book under consideration (knowing that book has been found to have at least one duplicate), removing that book (and all books merged into it) from all other sets, then looking at all remaining sets having the next book that has at least one match, etc..

In set by set, you have to go through the number of sets that have been found. In book by book you have to go through the number of books that appear in any set. The first has fewer items in the list to review (match sets), but more decisions for each item. The second has more items to review (books in at least one set), but fewer decisions for each item. In the first, (IMHO) you can't collapse items as effectively as in the second.

My example was for a set of 8 books. In set by set, you have to make 28 decisions to decide if any book in that set is a match of any other book in the set. In book by book, you look at the first book, then decide if any of the remaining 7 books match. You don't have to decide if the second book is a match of the fifth book, but you can, if you wish. If you merge any books, that merge takes the merged book out of the book list to review, by removing that book from all remaining sets.

Last edited by Starson17; 02-11-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote