Thread: Touch Cover image frustrations
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobertron View Post
I use my kobo purely for reading epubs, and have been a bit frustrated by the bug whereby any the cover image for the book is squeezed horizontally and has two white margins added to it. I even tried stretching the covers horizontally in the epub so that when they get squeezed they should revert to normal, but that didn't work.
You must be doing something wrong. The Kobo Touch takes the first page of the book and uses that as the cover. If there are white bars in the cover image used, then they are there in the first page of the epub as well. If you have an example that doesn't do this, post it, or at least the code for the first page and a cover so we can see what is wrong.
Quote:
In the end, I wrote a script that generated covers for each book, and replaced them in the kobo image directory so the kobo wouldn't generate new covers and just use the ones I created. All was well, until my library grew to around 3000 books. Now, when I create all the files that are needed (4 for each book, I believe), the device runs out of inodes. This means that I am back with ugly squeezed covers, despite the fact that my library is under 1GB (with both books and covers).
That is only 12000 files. The maximum for a FAT32 directory is 65,534. Your not close, so running out of inodes doesn't make sense.

As to the files you are generating, what firmware version are you using? Pre 2.0.0 generated four or five cover sizes. 2.0.0 used two or three depending on some options. 2.1.4 and later uses up to three:
- N3_FULL is used for the Home screen and screensaver.
- N3_LIBRARY_GRID is used for the library lists
- N3_LIBRARY_FULL is used for the details screen

There is no way to open a book without having the first two. The last only gets generated when you visit the details page of a book. If you don't do that, you don't need to create it.

If you use calibre, the Kobo Touch driver has options to send the cover images as well. It will stretch the covers. But, it will send all three.
Quote:
Is there another fix for this that I am not recognising? For example, is it possible to reformat the kobo drive to ext3 so I can hardlink all the cover files to one image, thus saving inodes? Or does anyone know if this is even on kobo's radar to fix.
The database on the Touch has the name of the image used for each book. If you look at the content table, for rows with ContentType=6, the column you want is "ImageID". You could change this for all the books to single image. There is a bit of discussion on this table in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=194871.

I don't know if using ext3 is possible. I am sure I have seen a post somewhere here about someone trying, but I don't remember if they were successful.

I don't know if Kobo have it on their bug list as this is the first time I have seen this reported. Or at least the inodes part. The cover image size is not a bug but working as designed. Personally, I'd be unhappy if they changed it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote