View Single Post
Old 10-08-2009, 09:07 PM   #3
Winter
Enthusiast
Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Asus EeePC
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It shows at $2.99 for me.
That's because you're in America. The extra charges seem to apply to international customers only.

Quote:
Have you contacted Amazon for an explanation? Has your publisher?
Neither of us has had an explanation from them so far.

Quote:
Seems like you maybe already have a bit of a hate on for them or something. Instead of finding out what the facts are and then blasting them you're assuming the worst. Of course the worst may be true, but... They seem to have been having some glitches in getting the international think set up, don't know if this could be one of them or not.
Amazon is not a nice company. Their general nastiness makes for interesting reading. In my experience, the worst generally is true with them.

Quote:
I'm sure if your publisher wants to there's a way to exclude your book from being sold internationally just like it was before the newest version of the Kindle came out.
What would be the point? We want it to be available internationally; my argument has only been about the prices they're charging, which are really quite ridiculous. As a customer I wouldn't be prepared to pay an extra $3 solely because I wasn't born in the USA, especially when I could get these titles off Smashwords (or any other digital distributor) from anywhere for the same price. The inflated price also reflects badly on both my publisher and myself.

I don't mean to sound shrill, but to chalk a global price hike up to a glitch just seems far-fetched.

[EDIT] A little bit more digging has turned up their pricing rationale and other interesting hidden charges. If you add the per-book $2 international download fee the price becomes $4.99, and then add 15% VAT on that figure, you end up with $5.74.

Seems the International Kindle really isn't as great as advertised . . .

Regards,
Ryan

Last edited by Winter; 10-08-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Winter is offline   Reply With Quote