View Single Post
Old 12-13-2015, 03:03 PM   #23
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
My personal opinion would be no, it is not required that copyrighted content uploaded here be released under a CC license. Leaving aside uploads that may have been overlooked, I would say it's OK to upload material as long as you have the copyright holder's permission, and this may be either explicit (the uploader is the copyright holder's, or the copyright holder has somehow approved) or implicit (the material has been published under a non-CC license that, however, allows redistributing it through MR, like some Project Gutenberg translations).

It is true that the Guidelines say "EBooks uploaded to this site must be in the "life+70" public domain, or licensed under a compatible Creative Commons license", but (again my personal opinion) I believe this was not intended to be exclusive of other solutions, as long as it is with the copyright holder's permission. Now, if this sentence in the Guidelines is considered as the final word, then yes, all works should be either PD or CC... but it doesn't say which kind of CC. And that doesn't mean all books in the library automatically comply with these guidelines; we try to make sure there are no "problematic books", but we cannot thoroughly check every upload, we basically trust the uploader's description.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote