View Single Post
Old 12-09-2015, 09:25 AM   #18
skreutzer
Inactive
skreutzer is that somebody.skreutzer is that somebody.skreutzer is that somebody.skreutzer is that somebody.skreutzer is that somebody.skreutzer is that somebody.skreutzer is that somebody.skreutzer is that somebody.skreutzer is that somebody.skreutzer is that somebody.skreutzer is that somebody.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux 3
That's great! This way, the contributions of the uploaders were not only made towards mobileread but towards the community (including readers in particular, but also providers of software services for the library).

Does this mean that there were no legal grounds for the actions against “in 2007, somebody posted mobileread ebooks on the Usenet [...]”, “also in 2011, somebody redistributed ebooks from mobileread gratis [...]” and “in 2015, as a user redistributed the library obtained from my downloader [...]”, but maybe social reasons (staff is always fulfilling the requests of uploaders or something like it)? Or was it because at this time, the e-books weren't checked for their legal status as they are today? Does this mean that “in 2011, it became apparent that somebody sold the e-books [...]” was problematic in legal terms because the CC BY-SA-NC was violated? For “in 2015, one or more individuals uploaded e-books to Kobo Writing Life and sold them [...]”, it doesn't seem the CC BY-SA-NC was already in place from the copyright holders, so which license applied to their original content before that day and how was it violated by the uploader to Kobo Writing Life?

Would it be possible to host the library as a downloadable package non-commercially? Is such a mirror something you guys would approve, for instance to save mobileread server resources? I don't think I myself would host such a package for the mere purpose of having other people downloading it, but I can think of extracting the texts and images of valid EPUBs and present or convert them in other formats (web, print), analyzing their contents, providing personal notes (or social reading for them) etc., for which the legal permission would be an absolute requirement, and approval (maybe even support) of uploaders, the community and staff would be important to me, too.

You don't have to decide this now, as I'll investigate this topic further regarding the opinions of German uploaders who wanted their files removed from a downloadable package.

Update:
Can you please tell me which Creative Commons license in particular is accepted besides CC0, is it CC BY-SA-NC, or a different CC license with NC clause?

Last edited by skreutzer; 12-14-2015 at 01:27 PM.
skreutzer is offline   Reply With Quote