View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013, 08:24 PM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieS View Post
Hi all,

Newbie question coming up. I need to have two different fonts in a book I've written and wasn't looking forward to uploading fonts and dealing with stylesheets as I have no experience with these.

But when I copied and pasted by word document with both fonts into Sigil, created chapters and a TOC and then converted the epub into a mobi everything comes out fine when I read the book in my Kindle reader.

So why do I need to upload fonts or create a style sheet? Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance,

Jamie

Jamie:

Likely, it worked because, through sheer happenstance, the two "fonts" you called via Word, called in the in-line html, are also on the actual Kindle devices. For example: Times New Roman and Trebuchet, or something along those lines. If you had called, say, a Cyrillic font you'd put on your computer, or, say, Linux Libertine Ligatures--well, that would be a different story. Then, on your Kindle, you would see little blank boxes where the letters should go. In fact, I have a screenshot of a Kindle2 screen I took, to prove to someone insisting that I was a moron ebook-maker, because I couldn't magically make a book in Russian for Amazon ("...because there are already books in Russian on Amazon! So you must not know what you are doing!" I was not able to explain to to him that the books worked on K8 devices, but not K7. Just didn't want to hear me.).

(If you want to see what an image of an unsuccessful called font looks like on a Kindle, just say so. Happy to show you.) If the font you request isn't available, the device will simply choose one from amongst those available, or, worst case, display little empty boxes. A lot depends on the encoding, etc.

I hope that makes sense to you.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote