View Single Post
Old 01-23-2008, 01:48 AM   #5
JohnClif
Enthusiast
JohnClif has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JohnClif has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JohnClif has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JohnClif has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JohnClif has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle, PC/Mobipocket Reader, Palm T3
What do you want to do?

If you want to read published content, new bestsellers, major newspapers and magazines, casually browse textual websites (no YouTube), don't want to lug around a computer with you, and don't mind paying $400, the Kindle is unbeatable. You can also read free MOBI-format books on it. IMO it is the best e-reader for the typical book reader, bar none.

If you want to read mainly PDF files formatted for 8.5"x11", as well as published content and new bestsellers, the iRex iLiad is a good bet. It's expensive, but it has a larger screen, WiFi, and a native PDF rendering application. It can also read MOBI-format books, supporting an extensive list of protected and free titles. IMO it is the best e-reader for someone who reads a lot of technical documents in PDF format, yet who wants to read regular books as well.

If you're looking for a less expensive e-reader, then the Sony and Cybook readers are viable options. Both are well-thought-out devices; each has limitations. I'd pick the Cybook device over the Sony since the former support MOBI (more published titles).

What do I have? I own a Kindle and find it very versatile and useful. I read an amazing variety of books from Amazon, Munsey's, Feedbooks, MobileRead, and other sites. I make my own ebooks from Project Gutenberg text. I use MobiPocket Reader on my laptop to download my own customized newspaper from my chosen RSS feeds each morning, free, while I make my breakfast. The only knock I have on the device is the screen size; I wish it was bigger (but I can say that about every currently available e-reader).

I'm considering buying an iRex for tinkering, but I really don't need it. The Kindle does everything I could imagine using an e-reader for.
JohnClif is offline   Reply With Quote