View Single Post
Old 11-25-2007, 06:42 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSaunders View Post
When I look at the Kindle, I'm taken by the choices made by Amazon. I've had a Sony Reader for a year, and none of the choices strike me as important. The PR, even Newsweek, and the business advantages all go to Kindle. Nobody who has used Sony CONNECT hasn't wished it was integrated with Amazon.com. My question is about the technical features, and I guess you really need to know the Sony Reader to answer them.

1) Do you like daily charging better than computer docking? The Kindle has a radio that allows it to be updated by Amazon, but it gives you daily charging instead of the monthly charging of the Sony Reader. I charge my Sony by plugging it into my computer's USB port. So, if it has to be plugged in every day, why spend $$ on a radio?
I think it's too early to ask this question. I have only had my Kindle 6 days. I don't feel I can answer this question until I've had it at least 3 weeks to a month.

But I can say that I don't have to charge my Kindle every night. I keep the EVDO switched off when I don't need it. My current estimate is that it will be a twice weekly charge.

Quote:
2) How often do you buy books? I buy 3-4 books at a time, a behavior I have had in pbook stores, on Amazon, and now with my Reader. It takes me hours to read a book, that's why they are a good entertainment value. I'm about 100 books behind, so I don't mind 2 day pbook delay from Amazon.com. Do you buy books every day?
I don't think I will change my book buying habits much. I bought most ebooks for my Sony in LIT format, and then converted them. I haven't purchased any since I got the Kindle but I do not see a reason to change. It takes about 2 minutes to change a DRMed LIT to a non DRM PRC that I can read on the Kindle. It may cost me more money than AZW, but I think of it as a premium for not being locked in to one format.
Quote:
3) Is the EVDO Internet the killer app? My kid has an iPhone, so he has Internet at the same speed. He has full web features, and color, and it was really cool for a couple of weeks. Now, he never uses it. Sure, wikipedia is a cool thing to have. But I have a laptop with WiFi right on my desk, when I'm reading I can go for ages without using it.
The EVDO is nice, and will get even better when Munsey's gets their site up and running.

I think the killer app is the search function, not EVDO. I have all my sf ebooks on the Kindle. If I feel the urge to reread a certain author, I search for the name and all of that author's books and stories from inside various magazines will be listed.
Quote:
4) Are you going to buy a lot of Amazon books, now that you know that there are lots of places to get DRM-free books? I buy books from Sony, well, almost never, because I can get books in other formats with much more diversity. I'll spend 5 minutes on my computer to convert a book to Sony format, sometimes to save $5, other times to get a book Sony isn't listing. I read hundreds of pages every week (mostly SF) and I never seem to need Sony titles.
I might buy a magazine subscription, but don't think I will get many novels.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote