View Single Post
Old 02-24-2010, 04:06 PM   #8
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook One, PocketBook 360, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
This DOES look like it'll work with PB. Is anyone out there intending to try it and possibly report back to those of us who are more timid? I got myself a wonderful clip-on book light to work with my BeBook One (a package of TWO at Costco sold for under $10.00!) but they only work when clipped onto the back of the accessory leather cover.
Well, I took the gamble and got myself a Kandle. (That ALMOST rhymes!) Since I also have a six-inch BeBook One in addition to the five-inch PocketBook, and the BeBook screen is the same size as the Kindle, I felt I could always use the Kandle with the BeBook if it doesn't work well with the PB. (As I reported earlier, I already have an excellent -- and inexpensive -- battery-operated reading light to work with the BeBook, but it will only attach to the back fold of the BeBook's leather cover for reading purposes.)

Now, on to my experience with the Kandle and the PB. The SIZE is perfect, the width of the light bar being exactly the same as the width of the PB screen. And it clips on the top -- the same as with the Kindle (for which it's designed) and my BeBook -- and doesn't obliterate the text on the screen. However -- and this is a disadvantage with many reading lights used with ereaders -- it does not cast a uniformly even light over the entire reading surface. In adjusting the angle of the light, you either get brighter light at the upper half of the screen, or reduced uniform light over the entire screen. (This is not as great a problem with reading lights with longer, more articulated arms, whose angle of beam can be better adjusted.) For this reason, I believe the Kandle to in fact be better suited to the five-inch screen of the PB than the six-inch screen of the Kindle/Bebook.

If anyone does proceed to get a Kandle for himself (or herself), one word of caution. When inserting the two button batteries, make certain that you don't inadvertently bend down a small tab that comes in contact with the upper (positive) face of the upper battery, so that the tab instead falls BETWEEN the two batteries, resulting in the illumination being halved. I had to gently bend the tab back up and slide the upper battery UNDER the tab, when the pressure of my initial insertion of the upper battery bent the tab down.

Last edited by ascherjim; 02-24-2010 at 04:10 PM.
ascherjim is offline   Reply With Quote