View Single Post
Old 06-27-2009, 11:29 PM   #8
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Talking Costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Guy View Post
8 Readers?
If you've got too much cash on your hand, I'm happy to help ;-)
8 Readers probably sounds really crazy.
But consider this:
On average, I read (rough estimate) about 100 eBooks per year.
I legally purchase most of them. (*)
The average eBook is about $ 10.
It takes about 10 hours to read a single book.
I use my readers probably for 2 years.
The average reader is $ 300.
If I read 1000 hours per year (**), the reader is down to 15 cent per hour! As opposed to $ 1 per hour for every single book.
If I'm actually using the reader, costs for the hardware aren't the (main) issue. That's of course exactly the (brilliant) business model from Amazon.
And that's obviously the reason, why Sony and Amazon outrank the other manufacturers of eInk readers. Sony's and Amazon's revenue is in the content, not in the hardware...

(*) When I'm having fun, I'm willing to pay for it.
(**) Not to mention the (fun) time, I spend with searching, collecting or converting the eBooks.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote