View Single Post
Old 06-11-2010, 10:46 AM   #5
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite

1. Can I side load my ebooks onto the kindle? (if I can then I presume I'm not locked into amazon or am I missing something).
2. Does the 3G work for UK users?
3. Can I access any web page or is it just amazon? (I'd read that some users can access anywhere while other sites say not - confused).
4. Can I post to forums or send web email?
5. Is there a charge for 3G access?
6. Is the TTS acceptable?
7. I assume the international is bought through amazon.com but does it come with an English (or European) power plug?
8. Can I download books directly onto the kindle from the free sites or here?
1 - yes - MOBI without DRM, Calibre works fine. You can convert the EPUBs without DRM via Calibre, text is fine. PDFs are a mixed bag - they display ok but you can't resize the text (something which works on a Sony) so it is best to convert the PDF as well. I have found the best way is to save it as HTML then import to Calibre and convert to MOBI. All assuming it is DRM free of course.
2. Works for Whispernet for downloading from Amazon. I'm not sure about otherwise.
3. Haven't tried this as I couldn't work out how! It sounds like the latest update (2.5.2) will make it easier.
4. Pass
5. No - though there used to be $2 extra on top of the bought book price, this seems to have gone now.
6. Pass
7. Comes from Amazon.com but with a US plug so you need an adapter. There is an official EU and UK plug but you have to buy separately. Some USB adapters work but not all - it seems very fussy. I'm using my mobile phone charger as it has the micro USB connector.
8. Feedbooks has some sort of way of downloading straight to the Kindle without a pc, I think it is stickied in the top of this forum.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote