View Single Post
Old 05-28-2010, 12:44 PM   #7
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I've been reading on mine since day one, about 9 books to date.

I prefer the iBooks app. I like how it looks more like a book, and that a single tap on either side goes to the next page. I can always swipe to go back a page. I like the two page format when held in landscape, which is how I do most of my reading. I'm using the dictionary a lot more than I thought I would.

I do miss the "get books" ability I had with Stanza. It's a bit of a pain to have to use iTunes and sync to load books. I'm not buying any books from Apple at this point. Of course those are very easy to load. I won't start buying books from apple until they have iBooks out for the iphone. Plus I have a ton of books already bought or free from Baen.

I also miss having "night mode" in the iBooks app. But I find the pages very easy to read.

The kindle app is "fine". It does all I need it to do. I wish it were more configurable, but at least it does have night mode. I like the kindle app on the iPad more than on the iPhone. Most of that, though, is that on the iPhone I have Stanza which I like best of all.

The Barnes and Noble book app is also "fine". It frustrates me that B&N owns Fictionwise but I can't read fictionwise books via the B&N app -- AND -- there is no iPad app for eReader books. So for the moment, I'm stuck reading those books on my iPhone. I'm just spoiled by the screen size of the iPad and really don't want to read books on my iPhone anymore.

Both the Kindle and B&N apps sync between iPad/iPhone which is very nice. You can read on the iphone when out and about and pick right up where you left of no matter which device you use.

None of the other apps so far are to my liking. The Kobo app has a scrolling metaphore, not page turning. YUCK! Same with another app that escapes me for it's name. It actually has some of Stanza's book loading features but I just cannot read from a scrolling metaphore.

Lee
leebase is online now   Reply With Quote