View Single Post
Old 12-12-2009, 06:52 PM   #18
kfarmer
Gizzzzmo Nerd
kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyrick View Post
Just chatted with Sony support since I lost the store software when downloading the update. My vista system hangs giving error code 1935 and the tech said to wait until tonight or in the morning to download the update when the rollout is complete. The system is still updating....so I will wait. Also said to delete all older version of the bookstore.

Now the real question, why make somthing available when it is not completely ready? Way to go SONY!
If what you have is a bunch of cloned server farm sitting in various centers across the globe, then propagating changes to all of them can indeed take a long time. This is not an uncommon phenomenon, since it protects against natural disasters, and also distributes the regional network loads such that, hopefully, you're talking to someone near you rather than on the far side of the planet.

Could they do it differently? Like maybe propagate to a hidden sandbox until all servers at all centers are updated, and then flip a switch to change which version visitors are sent to (a much faster operation than coping a vast number of files, including now all the epub versions of the books).. yes, they could. I don't know of anybody off-hand who does.
kfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote