View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #61
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Could one...
Quote:
1. Use QT as the GUI framework using PySide or PyQT?
Yes. Sigil already uses Qt as the GUI.

Quote:
2. Use QScintilla (Scintilla's QT counterpart) as the editor?
Yes but I don't recommend it. I looked at using it but decided against it. It's cumbersome to work with. It also has poor regex support. You can hack it on but it's not very friendly. It doesn't support RTL languages. But mainly the API isn't nice. It would bring a lot of cool features to Sigil instantly but it may be more trouble than it's worth.

Quote:
3. Use Webkit as the browser?
Just like Sigil already does, yes, QWebKit via one of the above mentioned Python bindings.

Quote:
4. Port Sigil's EPUB capabilities into a library to use as a springboard to get the editor running as an EPUB-editor, instead of merely another SciTE clone?
Not really.

Quote:
5. Glue all of that stuff together using Python? (Cython, Swig, Ctype, etc...)
Again not really.

Quote:
Then we would have the very basics: a program that can open, save, edit and preview EPUB's, but it won't have any other stuff like TOC-editing, Metatag-editor and such, but those could be created one at a time.
You mean like BBEdit, Vim, probably others (Notepad++ I think)? So basically a text editor that doesn't do text editing as good as other things out there?

Quote:
How much would development time possibly be shortened?
Probably none. The advantage of Sigil are those things that you said could be added later. At that point you'd have Sigil Python which isn't as good a Sigil. That means no one will want to use it so no feed back, and no one interested in helping when Sigil is already better.

Quote:
For me, the greatest roadblock is the EPUB-stuff. I just don't know anything about it. I know how an EPUB looks like from the inside of course, but I don't know all the details that are necessary... that's why I use Sigil.
That's going to make it a lot harder...

Quote:
I for one *can* program in C and C++, but I won't do it in my spare time as well as for work (I mainly write stuff in C and sometimes C++ for microcontrollers.)
One of the things that demotivates me when I look at doing something at home using C is I have access to some very helpful libraries at work that make C development much easier. I don't want to come home and write a hashtable (for example) when I have a very powerful, full featured, and well tested one at work.

I'm not saying I don't like C or it's not useful. It is extremely useful and I enjoy working with it. I just don't like doing the same task over. Once for work then again at home. When it comes to raw performance it's hard to beat C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami
In the Netherlands, there's an entire generation of people coming out of school that haven't even touched C or C++. Many schools and universities have standardized on Java and/or C#.
The same trend is happening in the USA as well.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote