View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
mengo
mengo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Question wifi (adhoc) would not connect,

... Hello everybody,

I'm a proud new owner of a Kobo Touch ereader. Got mine from Saturn (in Germany) for 49 € and I'm very impressed with the look and feel and reading experience so far.

...it's been discussed time and again but there still seems to be a huge problem with WiFi connectivity from what I read on the forums.
I'm posting a new thread because I never did find an answer how to get connected over WiFi. Already in the store where I bought my device I noticed that Kobos aren't really user friendly when it comes to wireless. None of the Kobos (touch mini and glo) seemed to be able to connect to the store's WiFi (both to the unsecured and the one with a WEP password), and all the others (sony, kindle, trek etc.) had no problem at all connecting.
I couldn't connect to my home Ad-Hoc WiFi either. With or without password protection (WEP and WPA2), with or without firewall on.
The latest firmware installed without problem and book transfer works via cable.
I tried the trick where you have to reset and do a factory reset but even so it wouldn't connect.
I also tried manually entering the network details but instead of unable to join, it says: incorrect login. Everytime and it's correct (case sensitive).
Making an Access point from my Android phone gives the "something went wrong" (WHAT WENT WRONG AND WHY???)
Any thoughts? Maybe it's because I'm using ad-hoc and not a real rooter? Maybe I should try an older Firmware, or mess with some of the files on the device?
Is it the WiFi frequency (US/ Euro - standarts??)- can I change the frequency channel somehow?

I really wish the developers addressed this problem as it's the main thing people complain about since the older firmwares

Update: using my Android's AP - I managed to start the browser and connect for 5 seconds. google search loads but right after you type a search it asks you to reconnect. If you do the next link loads and then the reconnect menu comes again.
The funny thing is with the browser opened on a page it also WORKS with my ad-hoc network, it says error but you can clearly see behind the flickering that the next webpage loads.... if this isn't due to faulty software I don't know what is!?

Please fix it!!!

Last edited by mengo; 07-26-2013 at 11:24 AM.
mengo is offline   Reply With Quote