View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 08:39 AM   #11
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Thanks for that information!

I'm just wondering - WHY ON EARTH are they doing that?! They are effectively slowing down the device for no reason: Extracting the files takes time, and accessing them through whichever method they chose will also take more time than directly reading them from the file system. The only reason for doing this would have been if the partition was too small to hold all of the files, but that doesn't seem to be the case. So again: Why the f^Whell did they do this?
It wouldn't necessarily be slower. Flash isn't too fast either, and the CPU is quite crafty. E.g. LZO compression might easily prove to be faster to read.

Then, when looking back at earlier firmware versions, I tend to not search for a global strategy with them. I guess they've got a handful of developers knowledgable enough for system integration jobs, who are always short on time and who have a zoo of come-and-go devels at hand and in the end they must live with what the latter came up with. The whole firmware looks a bit sketchy and assembled from lots of bits and pieces with no clear overall picture. Compare e.g. with Android based firmware - but in the proprietary parts, these tend to get messy, too.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote