View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #5
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
My apologies in advance for the off-topic.

Quote:
InDesign is the best option for me to create epubs. It creates very clean code if used correctly. Not sure what AIPe's problem is with it. Maybe he/she could elaborate.
Well, paying hundreds of dollars for a tool that:
  1. is not conceived for authoring eBooks,
  2. has the very nasty habit of messing around the code (see Liz Castro's blog to see the hacks that you need to perform to make up for InDesign's deficiencies...), and
  3. needs extra (paid) scripts to perform basic regex S&R
is not really what I would call "optimal strategy", especially considering that I can get the same result using free software and a bit of (basic) knowledge of XHTML/XML/EPUB specs.

But I agree that anyone should maximize her or his own objective function, and, you know, studying is harder and requires much more time* than just paying Adobe.

* In my opinion, InDesign is not really a time-saver, because one should also count the time spent looking for the "hacks" needed to make InDesign produce what you want...

Last edited by AlPe; 08-26-2012 at 02:28 PM.
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote