View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 07:37 AM   #4
pphilipp
Addict
pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Apple iPad 3 (I have owned many other tablets)
I do not have a rooted NC, but I do have two other Android devices... an 8" Android tablet and a HTC Desire phone. I've been able to try out around ten Bible apps on both. Here's what I've found:

If all you want is a simple ebook-style app to read the Bible, there's not much difference between any of them. They all do a similar job. But if you're wanting an in-depth tool for delving into deep and thorough studies, none of them measure up to what's offered on other platforms. At this point Android is about twelve years behind even the WinCe offerings! Surprisingly Olivetree's Android app doesn't come close to what they offered on WinCe six or seven years ago. Why?

The one app which I expected to be the powerhouse of the bunch is "The Bible Scholar". Unfortunately, it turned out to be such a memory hog that I never could get it to run on either my tablet or my phone... which are both good, powerful devices! It is the only Bible which I paid for (99cents on the market).

I do have a favorite so far. It is a free app called "BibleScope". It is well thought out and intuitive. It also provides the valuable split screen option which allows you to view a Bible and a commentary or dictionary to scroll with it... at the same time. On top of that, if you are using a Bible containing Strongs references, it automatically will pop-up that information on top of the second window! Every other app forces you into switching between these three areas, which is far more awkward and time-consuming.

So until Laridian releases their Bible, or another good one comes along, at this point in time I easily recommend BibleScope as the best.
pphilipp is offline   Reply With Quote