View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 04:59 AM   #16
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_pb View Post
Thanks geekmaster for more instructions. Looking over the amount of work you've been doing on this, I wonder if you ever sleep? ;-)
Specifically I thought I'd test out the /usr/sbin/factory_reset approach, but it did not work. The RUNME.sh appears to have been executed as the Kindle showed two output files - RUNME.done and RUNME.out - but it did not display the text message and it is back to the "...needs repair" screen.
Sleep? What's that? I hear that you can sleep all you want to after you are dead.

You can reset the "needs repair" boot counter by adding this to your RUNME.sh:

echo 0 > /var/local/upstart/lab126_gui.restarts

And you must delete RUNME.done to enable RUNME.sh to run again after you change it.

Sometimes you also need to replace missing or damaged files that the factory reset does not do (especially if you applied one of the "no big brother" or "no special offers" hacks).

I have recently come to the conclusion that all this complicated repair work would be unnecessary if we could just flash our firmware back to a virgin "factory fresh" condition. And we can, using the fastboot tool (see the "fastboot manifesto" thread). The only problem is that a partition backup image contains proprietary amazon code and script files, so could be problem. Even so, there are Touch mmcblk0p1.img "forensic" image files available if you know where to look (gitbrew).

Last edited by geekmaster; 02-25-2012 at 05:15 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote